If you are looking for a non-surgical treatment option for your pain, platelet-rich plasma therapy is highly effective. Platelet-rich plasma or PRP, is an injection that enhances your body’s natural ability to heal from injury or illness.
Platelet-rich plasma is made from your own blood and the injection is prepared right here in the clinic during your visit.
Want to learn more about the benefits of platelet-rich plasma?
Call us to schedule an appointment
Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy
A platelet is a component of the blood that gets its name from its microscopic plate-like shape. The regulation of blood clotting is the primary function of platelets, but in addition to that important function, they play a vital role in healing. When the body experiences tissue damage, a chemical signal is sent out to alert the available platelets to rush to the injury site, where they immediately begin to prevent further damage.
What makes platelets so valuable is their high concentration of other elements such as growth factors that combine to promote healing. These include:
Initially, platelets already play a highly beneficial role in the healing process due in part to their above-listed properties. When they are concentrated further and processed into platelet-rich plasma, they deliver incredible healing power when injected into injured body tissue.
To prepare the injection, we will draw a small amount of your blood (less than two teaspoons) and with the latest precision technology, separate the platelets from the other components of the blood into an almost colorless fluid.
Platelets are adept at stimulating the repair mechanisms in a range of damaged tissues, making platelet-rich plasma therapy quite versatile. It is useful for many conditions, such as:
- Knee pain from an injury, illness, or normal wear
- Damaged or degraded cartilage, including the meniscus
- Tendon and ligament tears
- Sciatica and back pain caused by bulging or herniated discs
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Shoulder pain, including rotator cuff issues
- Hip pain, commonly caused by a torn or partially torn labrum
- Tennis elbow and other conditions causing elbow pain
- Bone spurs and other bone issues, including osteoporosis
- Plantar fasciitis or other conditions causing pain to the feet and ankles
- Aesthetic applications such as hair restoration and wrinkle reduction
- Many other conditions
Whatever type of tissue injury you’re looking to treat, we can provide the information you need to make an informed decision. Our doctors will determine if PRP therapy make sense for your condition.
To learn more about how we can relieve your pain with platelet-rich plasma in Mesquite, Garland, Sunnyvale, Forney, Terrell, or any nearby city in Dallas and Kaufman County, call our medical clinic at (972) 285-6703 to schedule an appointment.