People often turn to chiropractic care when they are looking for sustainable, long term relief for their pain without having to take harmful prescription drugs or undergo invasive surgical procedures.
Chiropractic adjustments help relieve many conditions associated with injury or accidents such as:
- Neck Pain
- Back Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Knee Pain
- Carpal Tunnel
- Bulging or Herniated discs
- Headaches and Migraines
Regardless of what has caused the chronic pain, chiropractic care can help get to the root of the problem, however, due to our everyday activities and environment, the effects of an adjustment may only last a couple of days or even just hours.
Fortunately, there are ways that you can help prolong the positive results of an adjustment by following a few simple practices.
- Practice good posture: Proper posture can help keep the spine aligned, preventing sore or tight muscles. Slouching or hunching over computers or cell phones may reduce the positive results from an adjustment.
- Choose ergonomic furniture: If the furniture you spend most of your day in such as office chairs and desks forces you to be in an uncomfortable position, you will find that using ergonomic pieces can help keep your spine properly aligned while supporting your lower back and distributing your weight evenly. This can not only help lower pain but also increase your productivity at work.
- Break regularly: If you spend hours sitting at a desk or in one place during the day you may find that keeping proper posture is hard to maintain. Taking regular breaks to readjust and stretch or walk can greatly reduce strain and discomfort throughout the day.
- Avoid straining while moving or lifting: Jobs that require manual labor or heavy lifting can make it hard to maintain your spine’s proper alignment. Practicing proper movement by using your legs and knees instead of your back and shoulders may help prolong the effects of chiropractic adjustments.
- Hydrate: Keeping your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps keep the joints lubricated and toxins flushed from your system. This keeps the body flexible and can help avoid strain and injury to the muscles.
- Exercise: Gentle, low-impact exercises such as yoga, walking, or swimming can help improve your range of motion and strengthen your muscles making it easier to maintain alignment especially after an adjustment.
- Sleep: A healthy sleep allows the body time to reset and repair muscle, tissue, and joints. Getting at least 6-8 hours of good restful sleep can also help maintain the effects of a chiropractic adjustment.
Getting regular spinal adjustments and chiropractic care offer a natural way for those who suffer from chronic pain relief from not only injury but from everyday forces. The way we work and play put us in constant contact with things that cause misalignment and strain on our muscles and spine.
In order to get the most of your chiropractic visits practicing these simple steps can help maintain and even prolong the positive results you experience.