Studies have shown that about 1 in 4 adults has suffered from a migraine headache in the U.S.
If you or a loved one suffer from migraine headaches, then you understand how overwhelming and debilitating they truly can be. There are many options for pain relief; you may turn to when experiencing a migraine. But, did you know chiropractic care can help relieve migraines and keep them from happening?
Most people opt for pain medication to keep the migraine discomfort at bay. However, pain medications can sometimes have dangerous side effects and do not offer a preventive solution. Chiropractic care is an all-natural treatment that can help ease the pain associated with a migraine headache or another type of headache.
Receiving proper chiropractic care or adjustments can help restore the proper nervous system communication. This will, in turn, assist in decreasing irritation or pain signals that are being sent to the brain. A chiropractor will make alignments to a specific area of the body, releasing tension on muscles, joints, and nerves. Tension in the body is a common cause of migraine headaches.
Symptoms of a Migraine Headache
The symptoms of a migraine headache are divided into four categories:
- Prodrome is the first stage of a migraine headache. Also known as a “pre-headache.” This decreases the ability to stay focused and alert with attention or difficulty sleeping.
- Aura is called a “classic migraine.” This stage of a migraine headache includes blind spots, flashes of light, or vision changes.
- Headache or “migraine attack” is the third stage of a migraine and includes a sensation of throbbing, congestion, pain or stiffness in the neck, insomnia, and much more.
- Post-drome is the last stage of a migraine headache and includes symptoms such as the decreased ability to concentrate, fatigue, depression, or lack of comprehension.
Causes Of Migraine Headaches
There are a variety of causes associated with pain from a migraine headache, including:
- Hormonal changes during menstrual periods, pregnancy, or menopause
- Consuming too much alcohol or caffeine
- Medications or environmental changes
Some other possible causes and triggers are lack of sleep, dehydration, poor posture, or irregular mealtimes. Keeping a well-balanced diet, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly will help decrease the chances of getting a migraine headache and improve your overall health.
For more information on treating migraine headaches with chiropractic care in Mesquite, Garland, Sunnyvale, Forney, Terrell, or any nearby city in Dallas and Kaufman County, call Mesquite Chiropractic & Injury Regenerative Medicine of Texas at (972) 285-6703.